Gambling disorder: what it took to save Peter Shilton

• Mac
  • Mac's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Gambling disorder: what it took to save Peter Shilton

1 year 8 months ago
www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-62186923

On Shilt’s, England’s most capped football player.

Summary
“It was soon after we got together, in 2012, that I noticed his suspicious behaviour. He would go out of the room to use his phone; he was quite secretive.
I thought there was another woman. If you live with a gambling addict you feel there is a third party involved in your relationship.
On his phone, I saw the same number, over and over again. It was for a betting company”.

“…he would gamble on any race, all over the world, at any time”.

“He was very defensive; he was in denial. He said it was just something he did to unwind. It was always horse-racing, for him. It was a buzz for him. He knew managers and players who owned horses, it was part of the culture”.

“People have this assumption that gambling addicts are down-and-outs; it's often highly astute, very intelligent, very professional people. You can't spot a gambler, and that makes it extremely difficult to get through to them. They hide it. I was finding it difficult as a loved one, living with that”.

“I opened his bank statement and there were pages and pages of his money going to the gambling company BetFair- £18,000 in a month”.

“In our relationship, we would normally have such fun but he was getting withdrawn”.

“…when he recovered I could see the peace of mind he had. He looked 10 years younger and was enjoying life”.

Sent from my Ferrari using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TNaicker
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Re: Gambling disorder: what it took to save Peter Shilton

1 year 8 months ago
Since cutting down my SA horse-racing betting to a few cents a week, I look and feel 10 years younger...

When i stop supporting Man United I will look and feel 20 years younger...

If @cnc stopped following one RM, he'd look 50 years younger than his Smeagol profile pic !!

The AM fanboys are already looking and feeling younger since he hasn't ridden in some time...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.392 seconds