• Magi
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Re: Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Fears and thoughts in South Africa

1 year 3 weeks ago
Just watching the students trashing the streets in Joburg

Do we actually have a police force ? 🤔

Do you actually have students??

We are presently in Bulgaria for a few weeks.... this is a poor country (and it shows) .... but there is electricity, the streets are clean and there is peace and quiet.

We have frequently discussed returning to SA (we still have our properties) ... but return to what? My wife feels like going for a walk 22h00 at night ... I go to bed without a worry knowing she is going to return... we walk home at 02h00 in the morning after a concert ... no stress.

So we are working towards getting our family this side... my daughter just got her honors and has joined an international accounting firm ... with only one goal in mind... my two step sons are now both in I.T. (SAP Basis and Ops) .... soon will have the experience to work remote for any company or join a European company.

It is very sad and depressing talking to friends and family at home about the current state of affairs :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnnycomelately
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 3 weeks ago
Enjoy the peace my friend

• Dave Scott
  • Dave Scott's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

1 year 1 week ago
Good morning.

It's not that my fears and thoughts have disappeared its just that my concerns fall on deaf ears as far as the ANC

I get my daily updates via BIZNEWS from an email from Alec Hogg which I always find informative.

The big issue today is the stay away, protest on Monday 20th various permutations but guaranteed to cause disruption and confusion and a long weekend for many.......

• BATMAN
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Re: Fears and thoughts in South Africa

1 year 1 week ago
My thought on Monday’s stay away is that everyone will become the loser, there will be violence,looting. Howcome the anc is doing nothing about it, only the Da is.
The eff want the president to resign so this is their protest,however their protest is full of threats and while all this is going on the president up to now has been silent and carrying on as if he is on another planet. 2024 is going see the anc/eff working together. During all of this,violence,loadshedding, so many people have said that’s it and leaving, for each person leaving it suits them,one less vote against. Very sad situation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Scott

• Muhtiman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 1 week ago
.....FFS why should we fear the EFF....they are only a support of a dwindling 2million supporters at best....they will be unable to mass a single action of no more than 2000 people in denser more affluent areas....and how many of them are actually legally armed....let them try to take on the bigger population areas where private legally armed security prevails.....those with more ammo will always be the victor....I believe another non event as all the big talk cannot inspire red T-shirt people to revolt on a long week end .....no matter how much KFC you promise them.....:dry:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ElvisisKing

• manwatweet
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 1 week ago
Just watching the students trashing the streets in Joburg

Do we actually have a police force ? 🤔

Do you actually have students??

We are presently in Bulgaria for a few weeks.... this is a poor country (and it shows) .... but there is electricity, the streets are clean and there is peace and quiet.

We have frequently discussed returning to SA (we still have our properties) ... but return to what? My wife feels like going for a walk 22h00 at night ... I go to bed without a worry knowing she is going to return... we walk home at 02h00 in the morning after a concert ... no stress.

So we are working towards getting our family this side... my daughter just got her honors and has joined an international accounting firm ... with only one goal in mind... my two step sons are now both in I.T. (SAP Basis and Ops) .... soon will have the experience to work remote for any company or join a European company.

It is very sad and depressing talking to friends and family at home about the current state of affairs :(

Glad that it is great for you that side of the planet.

European winters must be a killer?

Nothing like a highveld winter in the Republic. Sunny clear skies and nice weather.

Just the thought of staying in Europe is already sad and depressing.

Lot’s of shit all over the world………….

RSA still the best place.
Finish and klaar.

• Dave Scott
  • Dave Scott's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

1 year 1 week ago
The confusion for Monday has reached new heights with numerous contradictory statements.

Should be interesting 🤔

• flydubai
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

1 year 1 week ago - 1 year 1 week ago
.....FFS why should we fear the EFF....they are only a support of a dwindling 2million supporters at best....they will be unable to mass a single action of no more than 2000 people in denser more affluent areas....and how many of them are actually legally armed....let them try to take on the bigger population areas where private legally armed security prevails.....those with more ammo will always be the victor....I believe another non event as all the big talk cannot inspire red T-shirt people to revolt on a long week end .....no matter how much KFC you promise them.....:dry:

Don’t want to be the wind-up merchant.. or overly dramatic… but there were 6 million people unemployed in 1933… their leader was a charismatic nutcase… they started as a minority based support and private army (SA- brown shirts) to intimidate the opposition, shut down public forums.. etc.. Germany in the 1930s…
They got themselves into parliament … set fire to German parliament Reichstag (allegedly) .. and used propaganda to install fear that the ‘enemy of democracy’ wanted to overthrow the government .. and suspend the constitution.. martial law? .. state of emergency… call it what you will..
Never underestimate the power of appealing to masses whose lives are so bad that anything seems better than the status quote. Especially if you’re targeting a minority or those perceived as sellouts…:) :) parliament was set on fire last year… what’s next…
Last edit: 1 year 1 week ago by flydubai.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnnycomelately

• cross
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • If you don't have a ticket you can't jump the bus

1 year 1 week ago

• manwatweet
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 1 week ago
The world is one big Shithole………..

www.cnn.com/2023/03/17/europe/france-pen...form-intl/index.html

• CnC 306
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 1 week ago
Protests are good so long as they are peaceful with no looting, burning or fighting. It’s a human right to protest
The following user(s) said Thank You: Muhtiman

• Muhtiman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 1 week ago

Don’t want to be the wind-up merchant.. or overly dramatic… but there were 6 million people unemployed in 1933… their leader was a charismatic nutcase… they started as a minority based support and private army (SA- brown shirts) to intimidate the opposition, shut down public forums.. etc.. Germany in the 1930s…
They got themselves into parliament … set fire to German parliament Reichstag (allegedly) .. and used propaganda to install fear that the ‘enemy of democracy’ wanted to overthrow the government .. and suspend the constitution.. martial law? .. state of emergency… call it what you will..
Never underestimate the power of appealing to masses whose lives are so bad that anything seems better than the status quote. Especially if you’re targeting a minority or those perceived as sellouts…:) :) parliament was set on fire last year… what’s next…

.....bit of a reluctant history buff myself....but fascism may have been highly fashionable in the 1930's in Europe and then in South America 2 decades later and then fizzled out in Africa before the turn of the last century....it is now so passe....:unsure:....the EFF may become a major agitator and a threat should they align with a Ramaposa-less ANC around the next election....and more recent history shows that in 2020 the EFF rallied some 5000+ people to march on ESKOM and covered a 12km route from Sandton City in +8hours....when about 2000 of them dispersed after the event in Sunninghill....there were Q's of hundreds outside TOP's each buying a Black Label quarts until no more of any quarts of any local beer were available....many of them confirmed that they were bused into Sandton and given a T-shirt and R25+ food and water but were not really EFF supporters....:S

Time to create page: 0.490 seconds