Enquiry opened

• durbs
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Re: Re:Enquiry opened

3 years 5 months ago
Mr.H,what difference is this situation to Larry Wainstein's when he punched a race goer?
He got a fine and that should also apply to Andrew Fortune.
Remember Raul Da Silve and Jim Crowley bust up?
Raul was banned for 21 days and now you want Andrew Fortune to be banned for life.
He's an inspiration to many the way he turned his life around after being a drug addict.
Yes he should have done things differently but rather go after the cheats,dopers and the people that abuse the horses.
They are the real ones who are a disgrace to horse racing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mr hawaii
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

3 years 5 months ago
durbs wrote: Mr.H,what difference is this situation to Larry Wainstein's when he punched a race goer?
Raul was banned for 21 days and now you want Andrew Fortune to be banned for life.
He's an inspiration to many the way he turned his life around after being a drug addict.
Yes he should have done things differently but rather go after the cheats,dopers and the people that abuse the horses.

There is a big difference - In one instance a drunk person started swearing at Larry - Larry was however not justified as he could have used words not fists to defend himself - He should also have been warned off BUT when you can allow Jockeys to be attacked then where is the integrity in the sport - So now any jockey riding near a Fortune horse must give it space or else Fortune will give him a smack - The actions may have been the same but the motive is completely different. And next members of the public can beat trainers or owners because a horse does not win - Too many bad losers in this game

• mr hawaii
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

3 years 5 months ago
durbs wrote: Mr.H,what difference is this situation to Larry Wainstein's when he punched a race goer?

Being a recovering drug addict is not an excuse for criminal behavior - I bet you 100% that Fortune would have the biggest mouth condemning this behavior if he was still riding and a stable employee attacked one of his fellow riders!!! Why not look at how many chances the old Jockey Club gave this man before you try to make him out to be this reformed saint.

• durbs
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

3 years 5 months ago
I do see your point but surely he deserves a second chance.
A big fine with a warning that states if it happens again he is out.

Lerena responded and a shouting match ensued.
Who knows,maybe he swore at Andrew too so that could have been what provoked him to give him a smack.

• durbs
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

3 years 5 months ago
He's not a reformed saint but just someone who has shown that whatever your situation,no matter how bleak it seems,you still have the power in yourself to make it right.
I have a lot of respect for people like that.Plenty would have taken the easy way out or just overdosed but he changed his life.

• Bob Brogan
  • Bob Brogan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago
durbs there is seemingly more to this incident than just an assault
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Bob Brogan.

• mr hawaii
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

durbs wrote: He's not a reformed saint but just someone who has shown that whatever your situation,no matter how bleak it seems,you still have the power in yourself to make it right.
I have a lot of respect for people like that.Plenty would have taken the easy way out or just overdosed but he changed his life.

he has had 100 chances - But if it is sincere (I have strong reservations though having seen addicts show extreme humility when cornered) then I respect him for his published apology. I will also remind you of a horse ridden by Mr Fortune for Gary Alexander

Racing alone up the inside fence, Fortune deliberately let his mount drift across to join Flipflash and favourite Handsome Henry. A perfectly legitimate move given that a horse generally tends to try just a little harder when racing with company.

What happened next is what got many people’s gander up. Bay Style was roughly half-a-length clear when joining Flipflash and under a soft left-handed stick. However, Fortune’s flailings changed from down the neck to ‘stirring the porridge’ with Flipflash catching one on the noseband.

www.thoroughbrednews.com.au/news/story/c...ection=International
and then another that he rode seemingly no good for that stable in a prep run for a think a big sales race -
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by mr hawaii.

• durbs
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

3 years 5 months ago
Bob Brogan wrote: durbs there is seemingly more to this incident than just an assault

The sooner they release the whole story the better.

• durbs
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

3 years 5 months ago
Yes Mr.H I do know he was no saint in the saddle.
You could also point the finger to hundreds of jockeys for giving a horse a so called prep run,but for me,you got to look at the trainers and their instructions to the jockey.
Especially with our MR system we all know how some trainers try to deceive the handicapper,so in some instances the jockey was just riding to instructions.

• mr hawaii
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

durbs wrote: Yes Mr.H I do know he was no saint in the saddle.
You could also point the finger to hundreds of jockeys for giving a horse a so called prep run,but for me,you got to look at the trainers and their instructions to the jockey.
Especially with our MR system we all know how some trainers try to deceive the handicapper,so in some instances the jockey was just riding to instructions.

now what would Mr Fortune have said if the stable employee of the aggrieved horse had given him a well-deserved slap around the ears?Would he have accepted that as proper behavior? I like facts - that's how I pick horses - Fact is Fortune acted like a bully and broke the law and the rules of the NHRA - I'm not saying there is no grey area in Sport - I remember the late David Kuit took his whip to another Jock in the Jockey Room after a race where the other jock almost made him come down but in this case it was a race lost by a horse that could have won if good enough and the assaulter has no excuse for his behavior - I remember the late Robbie Maroun approaching the stipes when he felt a jockey did not give his horse a proper ride so If Fortune had a case why did he not go to the Stipes who he has recently become Champion for,
I however acknowledge Bob's words and feel satisfied that there is way more to the story especially in the light of Fortune's recent proclamations re the Werners' pull-up.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by mr hawaii.

• Muhtiman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

3 years 5 months ago
.....heard that Andrew came off 2nd best.....:unsure:

• Bob Brogan
  • Bob Brogan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

3 years 5 months ago
Back to the dead heat and Chase fine.

What would happen if Thumbs Up tested positive?

How would his appeal go?

Time to create page: 0.436 seconds