The Million Dollar Pearl

• mikesack
  • mikesack's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

The Million Dollar Pearl

1 year 11 months ago
What a sensational win by a champion dog.

SHE'S A PEARL!

www.thegreyhoundrecorder.com.au/news/she...ng-immortality-41809

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dave Scott
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Re: The Million Dollar Pearl

1 year 11 months ago
Fantastic Mike loved the dogs 🐕 👏

• mikesack
  • mikesack's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Re: The Million Dollar Pearl

1 year 11 months ago
Australian greyhound racing news, greyhound betting, greyhound tips, greyhound fields and box draws.

australianracinggreyhound.com/news/avdul...njury-layoff/121947/

Avdulla says greyhound racing helped him through injury layoff
Tuesday 17th May 2022 3:51 pm.Josh Spasaro
Connections
Brenton Avdulla with Connections’ winning connections after the three-year-old’s victory in a fifth-grade race over 520m at Wentworth Park on May 14, 2022. (Picture: Instagram)
While down and out with a fracture in his neck, the joy of being a greyhound part-owner helped champion jockey Brenton Avdulla through one of the most difficult times in his illustrious career.

The thrill of being trackside with his family and friends gave him “a good out” – a temporary escape from the physical and mental challenges he was faced with.

That was evident at Wentworth Park on Saturday night when the 31-year-old was delighted to see Connections salute in a fifth-grade race over 520m, triumphing for Michelle Sultana in a good time of 29.62 seconds.

“It’s good to get a win. When I was injured it gave me a good out,” Avdulla, a 25 percent owner of the winning three-year-old, told AustralianRacingGreyhound.com.

Indeed, after his horror fall aboard the ill-fated Xtremetime in the Silver Shadow Stakes at Randwick last August, Avdulla returned in fine fashion.

He went on to triumph with Fireburn after an incredible ride in the Golden Slipper, before taking out the Inglis Sires’ Produce Stakes during the Sydney Autumn Carnival.

Now enjoying a small break after his brilliant carnival campaign, Avdulla experienced a different winning feeling on Saturday night.

“Yeah, 21.62 seconds – good result. If only he did that in the semi-final (of the Million Dollar Chase, running seventh in a time of 30.80),” he said with a smile.

Avdulla is grateful for the way being a greyhound’s part-owner lifted his spirits while he was sidelined, admitting that he almost gave away the sport.

“The return on the investment is great. And this is what I do it for – bringing the family on a night out,” he said.

“I’ve got three at the moment. I’m looking to get more, though. I’m just waiting until the time is right.

“I’ve got Fernando Hunter and another bitch called Best On Ground, who I own with the other jockeys, like Kerrin (McEvoy) and a few other boys.”

Being injured allowed Avdulla to devote more time to following his greyhounds and, like his racing career, re-invigorate his interest in the sport.

“I’ve owned dogs for 10 or so years. But I lost interest in it during the middle stages for a bit,” he said.

“It has probably only picked up the past 12 months with Fernando Hunter. He was the first one I got back into it with.

“And then I’ve bought the others since. I’m looking to continue re-investing.

“The prizemoney is ridiculous now. I’m not breeding anything – I just buy them when they’re up and going.”

After a full-on return to racing following his injury, Avdulla will continue enjoying some time off over the next couple of months.

“It’s been pretty busy. I’ll look to have a few weeks off over the next two months or so,” he said.

“But we’ll see how it all ends up. The goal will be to find some fast horses during the (spring) carnival, and find some fast dogs to match it on Saturday nights.

“I might go up (for the Brisbane Winter Carnival) in a couple weeks with Private Eye.”

Avdulla is excited at the prospect of continuing his partnership with Fireburn for Gary Portelli’s stable.

“I don’t know what they (Portelli and the owners) are doing with her, to be honest. But I’ll be happy to ride her wherever she goes,” he said.

“She was a good filly for me during the autumn, winning a Golden Slipper and a Sires. It put me back on the map.

“I might have to find a good dog and name her after her. It was beautiful.”

Time to create page: 0.385 seconds