I dont understand

• Frodo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Re: I dont understand

2 years 2 months ago
Not sure I follow the moaning and groaning - as for the connections, surely they have to be aware of the minimum weight Miss Venniker can ride at, so it could have been a case of 'we will take the overweight, but as she gets on so well with the filly, we think it is better to put her on, rather than someone who can make the weight, but does not know the filly' :unsure:

As for the punter, surely every punter worth the name would be aware of Miss Venniker's riding weight, so one would need to take that into calculation when studying form - can''t see what the fuss is about :huh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• easy
  • easy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

2 years 2 months ago
Because the WHOLE industry is governed by weight. It's a complete farce that this can be allowed. If we take weighing in underweight as a serious offence because it affected the outcome of the race then surely the other direction it works the same.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mr hawaii

• BATMAN
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

2 years 2 months ago
Not sure I follow the moaning and groaning - as for the connections, surely they have to be aware of the minimum weight Miss Venniker can ride at, so it could have been a case of 'we will take the overweight, but as she gets on so well with the filly, we think it is better to put her on, rather than someone who can make the weight, but does not know the filly' :unsure:

As for the punter, surely every punter worth the name would be aware of Miss Venniker's riding weight, so one would need to take that into calculation when studying form - can''t see what the fuss is about :huh:

I don’t fully agree.How should all punters and overseas players know the actual weight of a jockey. A few years ago restrictions were put on riders,if they constantly went over weight they then limited them to that weight until such time as they proved they can keep a lower weight. In her case it must be restricted at 53.5
I was at a New Years braai yesterday and two of the people had big doubles ending in this horse, during the race I still said it won’t be easy to win from start to finish on this track but they both said at 50 kg it’s the best thing to do. None of us actually were aware of the weight difference and only seeing this on abc for the first time.

I think it is very disappointing. You probably find it was a extra 400 grams aswell as jockeys are allowed the extra 400 without issues.As easy rightfully says it’s a weight game. Very often you read in the stipes reports about plus 1 kg and sometimes more at point of race,and it’s always the same riders. They really need to clamp down on this.

• TNaicker
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

2 years 2 months ago
@Frodo...with respect to your first paragraph, I couldn't see R Venniker having ridden this horse in a race before...maybe at work but not in a race...

I brought this up weight issue yesterday not to have a go at the jockey but the trainer and stipes should have done a lot better than allowing it...the 3kgs nullifying the claim likely denied the punters a placing and the owners a stake cheque since about 6 lengths of the winner...
Or maybe those in the know decided the price wasn't right yesterday??

Anyway, we try again today...

• Bob Brogan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

2 years 2 months ago

Really?

This is one of the reasons why the industry has failed, EVERYTHING being so complicated for 95% of the punting community..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Muhtiman, Craig Pienaar

• Craig Pienaar
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

2 years 2 months ago
Biggest problem with this industry everyone thinks the average punter has any idea about weights etc , they just look at form

• naresh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

2 years 2 months ago
I knew she could not claim because when she had that purple patch, media covered her story and mentioned she had a weight problem for an apprentice. Not all punters knew she could not claim. What made it worse is that racing publications shows that she can claim which was incorrect. Tabgold shows that Smanga will be overweight in a race but nothing about Rachel. Only Sahorseracing.co.za showed she's eligible for a claim but will be overweight by 1kg. I think the trainer and owner knew about the overweight due to Sahorseracing.co.za showing it and it will have been flagged when they declared the rider. Unfortunately the authorities never informed the public and in the end the 1kg did make a difference or is the jockey aboard more important. Weight is an important factor in me choosing horses.

• Frodo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

2 years 2 months ago

Really?

This is one of the reasons why the industry has failed, EVERYTHING being so complicated for 95% of the punting community..

Yes really - I stand by my point - everyone knows the rules of Blackjack - so it you want to punt on the ponies, you need to at least check out the rules - I will grant that the minimum riding weight of jocks is not displayed prominently (one needs to check the Jockey Index in Computaform) - but then again in the race details it clearly shows (in Computaform at least) that the horse would be carrying 52.5 kgs - and that R A Venniker claims an allowance of 2.5 kgs - but also would be carrying + 3.5 kgs - so 52.5 kgs - 2.5 kgs + 3.5 kgs which equals her minimum riding weight of 53.5 kgs - so in effect 1kg 'overweight' as to the allotted handicap weight

And as to the point of 'everything being so complicated' - check out WSB - I was lucky enough to be allotted R500 bucks as 'Free Bets' - then I thought I would convert to 'Free Money' - where it states that you need 2 POINTS for every RAND of Free Money - nowhere it is mentioned that 1 POINT = 1 RAND - so I ended up with R200 in Free Money - Freeplay balance can be only used under the Live Games on Roulette, black jack and poker etc - Sorry sir, you should have read the rules - we can not reverse this :(

@TNaicker - not to push the point, but Rosaprima won her penultimate race by 6 lengths - ridden by one R A Venniker ;)

• easy
  • easy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

2 years 2 months ago
Frodo,

I am not challenging the information sharing. I am challenging the result and the unfairness of it.

Its the owners prerogative to choose a jock overweight. However its not good because the wrong horse won the race.

• TNaicker
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

2 years 2 months ago
@Frodo... I'm was talking about Ball Rolling in Race 3...only saw now that she also rode Rosaprima...

• BATMAN
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

2 years 2 months ago
Not all race publications showed anything about higher weight and no claim

Time to create page: 0.430 seconds