Greg Bortz and Hollywood to takeover Cape Racing?

• Mossel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Re: Greg Bortz and Hollywood to takeover Cape Racing?

1 year 9 months ago
Greg do what you believe is the right thing to do atleast you doing something,fuck these okes that think they know everything it's not about them. Wish you all the best and I think you can no wait will make it a success
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig Eudey, the fantasy, Mark Sham

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikesack
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago
Good luck.
I think T Naicker's suggestion of P.E. and Cape racing becoming one hub is a great one.
The P.E. horses need more racing and stakes and they will fill up the fields down South.
Presently it's all one way traffic with the Cape raiders having the best of both P.E and KZN stakes. [features]
Perhaps Hollywood can send KZN horses down too?
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by mikesack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TNaicker

• anandbasappa

1 year 9 months ago
Is horse racing a profitable business in the first place, doesn't matter to whom the question is put to, let's look at "possible" answers.

1) Punters ... Definitely NO, haven't cracked that pick6 but still hopeful one day i may, by the way the bank statement is in RED and when i started it was lush GREEN.
2) Breeders ... Not able to find buyers for the quoted price and hence retaining the ownership till the horse shows some sparkle which may attract some interest.
3) Owners ... Over head costs are very expensive and its becoming very difficult to manage things.
4) Book Makers ... Of course!!! It is a very profitable business, 40/100 hottie fails to make it to the PA and what have we got to lose by accepting bets on such horses?

This sport has to be looked in the periphery of Passion only and nothing else, there is no profit to be made over here because if you happen to make profit then somebody has to lose and that's the fact of the matter. Its like going to a posh star hotel for dinner alongwith family, looking at the bill you may start to think that you could have very well gone to the local restaurant for atleast 10 days for the same amount, passion and logic do not and will never go hand in hand.

As it is the covid pandemic has dealt a severe blow to everyone worldwide and things seem to be crawling at a snail's pace towards normalcy. Forming syndicates to owning and maintaining horses will go a long way in ensuring sustenance of this fantastic adrenaline pumping sport.

With lots of love.

Anand Basappa
India

• Saint T

1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago
As a Keyboard Warrior I am pleased that HWB and Greg Bortz have raised their hands and are prepared to roll the dice to save Kenilworth Racing. HWB has stepped up in recent years, extended a lifeline to KZN on multiple occasions and have had a positive impact to stabilise horseracing in KZN. There is no reason to doubt their intentions nor their commitment.

I don't know nor have I met Greg Bortz. I respect the fact that he has committed his personal balance sheet to stabilise Kenilworth Racing and he offers to play a hands-on role to turn the ship. Best of luck to this team and hope you leave racing in a better position than you found it. I trust that you will listen to the feedback from ABC Keyboard Warriors, who are a very knowledgeable bunch of all things racing and more.

PS. To the self appointed cyber police who has empirical evidence to support that posting in your registered name with the Department of Home Affairs versus using a pseudonym will make this industry more progressive an sustainable - make my day by listing all the steps and actions that you initiated in you christened name to challenge the status quo in the industry in the last decade, without fear or favour. I am not a prisoner to being preoccupied with self-fulfilment and self-preservation in the Horseracing industry. There are Keyboard Warriors out there that will make you look pedestrian in terms of understanding all things racing and being plugged-in across the industry. Cheerleading is embarrassing when you looking to have your bread buttered on both sides while others have been ostracised and sidelined for their honesty.
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Saint T.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Scott, mikesack, TeeDeeM

• Dave Scott
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

1 year 9 months ago
I am sure we would all agree that the best way to get people involved in racing is to have a share in a horse.
Now that is the love or passionate part.
The financial aspect is getting a decent return to balance the stakes vs stable fees etc.

To increase the stakes we must increase the tote turnover.

How we get that right is the real challenge.

Good Punting

• Muhtiman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 9 months ago
.....although the deal is far from done....it would certainly put some pressure on not 4 you nor you racing to up their game...as so far Hollywood have proven that their approach to getting local racing back on track is so far showing more positive results....and although I have my beef with them.....have always maintained that their marketing and brand awareness is intoxicatingly alluring and just may be ideal for the Cape market....as for Greg Bortz I think that he is a real racing man and would surround himself with other like minded racing people as most have been calling for racing people to take charge to turn racing around....having said that I am still wary about having bookmaking entities having far too much control in the industry and perhaps the racing people they partner with can ease them into somewhat restricting their open bet offerings or contribute a portion of those takings towards growing tote pools so that they can fund increased stakes and operational costs without totally capitalizing on un inclusive direct sponsorship ....in other words preventing what can be seen as an unfair monopoly which could then result in costly legal challenges from other entities and stakeholders.....:huh:

• TNaicker
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 9 months ago
Another thing...if you cannot view and / or hear a race, you are unlikely to place a bet on that race...so, the powers-that-be must do everything possible to get the product available to potential customers as that will increase pools and thereby take-out...
Anything shown that is not a race or the lead up to one does little to ADD to pools...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Muhtiman

• Bob Brogan
  • Bob Brogan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

1 year 9 months ago
Very interesting, especially after about 16 minutes when asked about his stint on the Kenilworth board

The following user(s) said Thank You: Muhtiman, Craig Eudey

• mr hawaii
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 9 months ago
I wish Mr Bortz had taken over Gauteng and Cape Racing 15 years ago - He seems blessed with loads of common sense with regards to running a Business and if it is not to late he and HW will save the most underperforming region.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Muhtiman

• Lionel
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 9 months ago
Greg Bortz comes across as a straight shooter - which is great for SA and SA racing.

As for the shenanigan's at Phumelela with the taking on of debt to pay dividends - well, those executives are cut off the same cloth as the July 2021 - the ONLY difference is that these scumbags just wear nicer clothes and live in fancier houses etc. But, if you peel back the layers, they are vile, disgusting, filthy human beings.

• Dave Scott
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

1 year 9 months ago
Well that was certainly worth a listen.

Great show and explanation on potentially the best way forward for racing 👏

• Muhtiman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 9 months ago
I wish Mr Bortz had taken over Gauteng and Cape Racing 15 years ago - He seems blessed with loads of common sense with regards to running a Business and if it is not to late he and HW will save the most underperforming region.
.....15 years ago he may have had the means but not the will....and at the time Jooste was the be all and never to end at all....local racing was thriving....breeders were overpaid with what became monopoly money.... Phum shares soaring....punters punting everything in green gold and black....:sick:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ElvisisKing

Time to create page: 0.469 seconds