Re:Dress code at the course

• Felix
  • Felix's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Dress code at the course

4 years 3 months ago
I know this topic has discussed before on the forum.

Today after an absence of about 10 years,I decided to go racing and took friends of mine visiting from Cape Town to Fairview.We were a party of 12 and upon entering the H B Christensen* room I think its called) we were approached by a young lady on duty and told that as one of our party was wearing jeans that we would not be able to make use of the facility.Now one lady in our party did have on a expensive pair of designer jeans, but we accepted that rules are rules.

I asked the young lady if I could look around as I had not been to Fairview in the last 10 years.She agreed to let me do so.Whilst walking around I noticed numerous people wearing jeans, including a prominent Cape Town trainer and a leading PE owner. When I questioned her about this I was told "'oh but they are guests of so and so therefore we make an exception for them'".

We made our way to the grandstand and stayed for one race and then left.Now I accept rules are rules,but I just thought that a bit of discretion could have been used and an opportunity to introduce new comers to racing had been wasted.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pirhobeta
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Re: Dress code at the course

4 years 3 months ago
;) ...and that is why the lawyers make so much money...helping us interpret "rules"...:ohmy:

I hope that it didn't spoil your day too much...:unsure:

• Lionel
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

4 years 3 months ago
I bet the room was overcrowded :dry:

• MissT
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

4 years 3 months ago
Felix it's nothing short of a disgrace period. I can believe it. Everything about your experience is unacceptable and hopefully you can maybe get your guests back for another try although I honestly cant see why they would want to.

• Press
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

4 years 3 months ago
I've commented in a previous thread how EXACTLY the same thing happened to me twice at Turffontein, as an RA member too. Needless to say, thats where I threw those badges in the bin and never paid another cent to their coffers.

Rules apply only to some, not all. If you are willing to make peace with that, then you will be fine.

All of this crap, as well as more recent issues is why I am slowly but surely phasing out of this sport I once loved so much.

• mr hawaii
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

4 years 3 months ago
www.google.com/search?q=durban+july+fash...A&client=firefox-b-d

www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNRThvQn...EAE&biw=1172&bih=573

I have never thought people need to be told what to wear so I find this dress code absolutely elitist - Imagine having a shop with only 2 customers and suddenly another 4 want to SPEND money in that place and you bar them because they are wearing jeans - Disgrace and the same people that have destroyed Racing are the ones who want a dress code -(some of those people would do better shopping for jeans rather than wearing suites that look more in place in a pantomime or circus than at any social event) - and as the Sugarman said - " A monkey in silk is a monkey no less"
The following user(s) said Thank You: ElvisisKing

• ElvisisKing
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

4 years 3 months ago
Its an absolute BLOODY DISGRACE..... how much would your party of 12 spent on the tote had u been there for the whole day....how much would have been spent on BOOZE & FOOD .......combined for the day probably a few thousand.

& the powers that be wonder why we can't get people to the track....... pity u didn't kick up a stink there & then if front of EVERYONE.....if trainer S or trainer K, or trainer whoever can where jeans.......why the hell can't one of your party ?

Im not sure if this was an RA room or not.........but i have NOT been a member of RA for at least last 10 years, cause i feel they do NOTHING FOR U !

• Bob Brogan
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

4 years 3 months ago
Not good

• Sylvester
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

4 years 3 months ago
Racing its a rush

• Felix
  • Felix's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

4 years 3 months ago
ElvisisKing wrote: Its an absolute BLOODY DISGRACE..... how much would your party of 12 spent on the tote had u been there for the whole day....how much would have been spent on BOOZE & FOOD .......combined for the day probably a few thousand.

& the powers that be wonder why we can't get people to the track....... pity u didn't kick up a stink there & then if front of EVERYONE.....if trainer S or trainer K, or trainer whoever can where jeans.......why the hell can't one of your party ?

Im not sure if this was an RA room or not.........but i have NOT been a member of RA for at least last 10 years, cause i feel they do NOTHING FOR U !

Elvis,those were my thoughts exactly,no I didn't kick up a fuss because my partner asked me not to as the lady wearing jeans was extremely upset as she felt like she had ruined the day for the whole party.As I mentioned in my earlier post I understand rules are rules,but we are not exactly talking Royal Ascot here,as to what our potential spend would have been who knows we were definitely in a party mode and took 3 Ubers to the course.My party consisted of people in the 50-60 year old age group and the majority are extremely well heeled(excuse the pun)What got my back up was the exception to the rule for those who were part of the establishment.Anyway we took our custom elsewhere and had a good time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ElvisisKing

• DOCTOR R
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

4 years 3 months ago
I'm sure it was an embarrassing moment to say the least.....what about the dress wear to the parade ring ....has anyone noticed trainers dressing to the parade ring ....jeans and golfers.....then owners as well....jeans.t shirts and sandals nogal....who polices the parade ring..

• Muhtiman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

4 years 3 months ago
.....what a shame.....the more we try change things the more they remain the same....this smacks of elitism....a plan could have and should have been made.....:huh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ElvisisKing, Felix

Time to create page: 0.503 seconds