JUAN NEL, licence suspended

• Mark Sham

Re: JUAN NEL, licence suspended

1 year 10 months ago
Jim....personally I'm owed a lot of money that I've lent out in racing so that would keep NHA busy for months.

The NHA should be open and give amnesty and privacy and ask for all the truths to come out. It will be a ton of worms never mind a can.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mr hawaii
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 10 months ago
Money was lent for him to live and not for cheating the scales. At that time he was earning only 1days wage a week and was always short.

The mark left by the pellet was no bigger than a lge pimple (again not saying it was right) Paintball guns leave much bigger welts…

He used to be the Clerk of Scales a few years back, when I was still riding. It always cost me a few bucks but let’s just say that it was not difficult to cheat the scale under his watch. And no Stipe should surely ever be in a position where he borrows money from people over whom he has authority and jurisdiction? It makes for potentially bad outcomes

Perhaps you did not lend him money to cheat but at least one Jockey did
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikesack

• yvonandur

1 year 10 months ago
It you think that Andrew was the only one to cheat the scales ⚖️ you mistaken And I am just talking about fair view I agree with Mark Sham give them amnesty so that they can come forward and open up about what is actually going on at fair view Andrew is the tip of the iceberg

• mr hawaii
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 10 months ago
It you think that Andrew was the only one to cheat the scales ⚖️ you mistaken And I am just talking about fair view I agree with Mark Sham give them amnesty so that they can come forward and open up about what is actually going on at fair view Andrew is the tip of the iceberg

But the weight cheats should also be banned?...Why should they get amnesty ?....every rotten soul from official to trainer to jockey bookmaker and punter should be punished ....I see no heroism in admiting you bribed an official... the whole lot must go as they will just find other ways to cheat...either through unfit horses hiding ability or any other devious plans they can come up with...
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikesack, the fantasy

• yvonandur

1 year 10 months ago
There is no heroism in them coming forward so we’re do you start the system is rotten the Stipe in the Juan Nel case is not the only one that’s dirty there are others the NHA has only eyes for the trainers Nel gets suspended and the Stipe carries on working

• Mark Sham

1 year 10 months ago
Amnesty …It would also help in getting rid of the bad Stigma attached to Horse Racing

• Mark Sham

1 year 10 months ago
No body wants this industry to succeed more than the Sham family. All our businesses revolve around racing…
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Scott

• easy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 10 months ago
Port Elizabeth Racing and Loreal

Because your'e worth it.

• mikesack
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 10 months ago
It is time for AF to come clean [pun intended] and reveal how many of his 6 wins on the horse HEAR THE DRUMS were actually under-weight.
For the record the horse is credited with having the most number of wins for a SA horse from 1960 onwards...............34 wins.

Hear The Drums passed through three sales rings unsold before he was finally sold to Mr PL Fabricius for ZAR42,000 at the Vintage Ready-To-Run sale in 2005.[2] He was sent to the training yard of Des McLachlan in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. He commenced his racing career on June 29, 2005 at Arlington racecourse in Port Elizabeth. He raced continuously for six years from 2005 through to 2011 after which he retired from racing. His last race was on March 4, 2011 at Fairview racecourse in Port Elizabeth.

Racing Career[3][4][5]
Hear The Drums ran 64 times between June 2005 and March 2011. He won 34 races in that time and placed 13 times. All of his wins came in Port Elizabeth at either Arlington or Fairview racecourses. In his first three starts he was ridden by jockey Morne Winnaar who would ride him in another 14 races for 17 in total. The jockey who rode him the most was Gerrit Schlechter who partnered him on 21 occasions. Andrew Fortune (6 times), Wayne Agrella (6), MJ Byleveld (2), M van Rensburg (2), Guilermo Figueroa (2), Sihle Cele (1), Mark Khan (1), Eldin Weber (1), Francois Herholdt (1), Brandon Morgenrood (1), Alec Forbes (1) and Anton Marcus (1) partnered him in his remaining races.

In his 64 starts he competed against 234 individual horses, with Glimmering Gold (20 times), Kings Troop (19), Ashtonvale (15), Disappear (15), Mazarette (15), Juan Pabilo (14) and Take A Chance (11), his most frequent opponents. His highest weight impost was 64 kg (141lbs) and his lowest 50 kg (110lbs). He ran 31 times over 1000m, twice over 1100m, 23 times over 1200m, three times over 1300m, twice over 1400m and three times over 1600m. He won from 1000m to 1300m. His racing record over 1000m was 31 : 19-8-0 and over 1200m was 23 : 12-3-1. His fastest winning time over 1000m was 56.06s and his fastest time over 1200m was 67.85s. He earned 55 pay-checks in his 64 starts with his highest ZAR78,125. His total earnings were ZAR1,942,213.[6]

He raced at Arlington racecourse 26 times, Fairview racecourse 35 times and Kenilworth racecourse 3 times. He won the East Cape Sprint Cup, a Listed race, three times in 2007, 2009 and 2010. He also won the Speedsters Stakes and the Cradock Place Stakes in three consecutive years from 2007 to 2009. He won the Glendore Sprint three times in 2007, 2009 and 2010. He won the Arlington Flying Five in 2008 and 2009. He contested the Grade 1 Cape Flying Championship at Kenilworth in Cape Town on three occasions, 2008 to 2010.[7][8] His best finish in that race was a fourth in both 2009 and 2010. These three races were his only starts outside his home base in Port Elizabeth.

He recorded his first win on July 15, 2005 and his last and 34th win on December 3, 2010.[9] He was awarded a Special Equus Outstanding Achievement Award[10] in 2011 for achieving 33 wins in 2010 and breaking a then thought-to-be South African record of wins. He was awarded the East Cape Champion Sprinter and Older Male in 2008/09.[11]

Racing Record
Age Starts Wins 2nds 3rds
At 2 2 1 0 0
At 3 14 6 3 1
At 4 10 5 2 0
At 5 13 6 3 0
Ar 6 9 7 1 0
At 7 11 8 1 0
At 8 5 1 2 0
64 34 12 1
He was retired to his birthplace Summerhill Stud[12] where he was a companion for the studs annual crop of weanling's and yearling's. He died in 2016.[13]

Record Wins Controversy
Hear The Drums was thought to have set a record number of wins for a South African racehorse when winning his 30th race in January 2010 and passing the then believed record of 29 wins set by Sentinel in the 1970s. However it was then claimed that a horse named Screech Owl had in fact won 32 times in the 1950s in South Africa.[14] Hear The Drums passed the 32 wins[15] mark on July 23, 2010[16] and eventually retired with 34 wins.[17] It was then claimed that a horse called Darius won 43 races between the period 1912 and 1929.[18] The full race record records of either Screech Owl or Darius have never been published and the sources at this stage remain sketchy other than quotes from the claimants, with no direct sources quoted. Both Sentinel and Hear The Drums records can be checked in the annual South African Racing Calendars as well as from various sources online. Whoever holds the actual number of wins for a South African horse it can be stated that Hear The Drums is the winning-most South African racehorse from 1960 onwards.

References
"Pedigree". www.pedigreequery.com .
Pretorius, Charl (August 26, 2009). "Hear The Drums heads McLachlan honour roll". www.tabnews.co.za .
"Hear The Drums full race record". www.racingandsports.com.au .
"HEAR THE DRUMS : WIN NUMBER 31". www.youtube.co.za . February 26, 2010.
"HEAR THE DRUMS : WIN NUMBER 30". www.youtube.com . August 8, 2010.
"The Racing Calendar of the National Horseracing Authority - South Africa". Part 2 - Racing Calendar. 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010: Various. March 2019.
"Cape Flying Championships, 2009". www.youtube.com . June 17, 2009.
"CAPE FLYING CHAMPIONSHIP 2010". www.youtube.com . January 26, 2010.
"Hear The Drums - Win Number 34". December 7, 2010.
"Equus Awards since 2001 to 2018". www.sportingpost.co.za .
"East Cape Awards". www.sportingpost.co.za .
"35 Time-Winner Hear The Drums Retired To Summerhill Stud". www.kznbreeders.co.za . January 12, 2012.
"Ode To A Warrior". www.summerhill.co.za . July 27, 2016.
"Hear The Drums one step away". Daily News. April 7, 2010.
"HEAR THE DRUMS EQUALS SOUTH AFRICAN WIN RECORD". www.youtube.com . March 27, 2010.
"HEAR THE DRUMS - SOUTH AFRICAN HORSERACING RECORD". www.youtube.com . July 29, 2010.
"HEAR THE DRUMS NOTCHES UP WIN 34". www.youtube.com . December 6, 2010.

• Bob Brogan
  • Bob Brogan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

1 year 10 months ago
Bad post Mike, like the content and facts... But are you accusing AF of cheating?

I loved Hear The Drums.. we all did, but i mostly remember the horse winning a pinnacle stakes every other week carrying 60 kg and more

• mikesack
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 10 months ago
Bad post Mike, like the content and facts... But are you accusing AF of cheating?

I loved Hear The Drums.. we all did, but i mostly remember the horse winning a pinnacle stakes every other week carrying 60 kg and more

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
QUOTE....................FROM SPORTING POST MAILBOX

The Stipendiary Steward involved in the Juan Nel matter is well known to many racing stakeholders.

He used to be the Clerk of Scales a few years back, when I was still riding. It always cost me a few bucks but let’s just say that it was not difficult to cheat the scale under his watch. And no Stipe should surely ever be in a position where he borrows money from people over whom he has authority and jurisdiction? It makes for potentially bad outcomes

I can give provide plenty more examples.

I am not saying that policing horseracing is an easy job and I do believe that rules are very necessary – but make them apply to all, and then fairly and evenly!

UNQUOTE.

BOB.................kindly point out where is my accusation in the above confession which is self explanatory I think.

• durbs
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

1 year 10 months ago
You 100% right Mike but did he 'cheat' when he was riding Hear The Drums?

Time to create page: 0.388 seconds